E. Method – Description in detail of method or procedures (The following are important and key items that should be included when formulating ANY AND ALL research plans.)
(a) Equipment list:
- School Pond’s Water
- 8 Apples
- Wire Mesh x 1 roll
- Acrylic tube x 1m
- Hand saw x 1
- Waterproof glue x 1
- Silicone x 1
- Silicone Gun x 1
- Hand pump x 2
- Fish Tank / Pail x 1
- Pomelo x 1
- Activated Carbon x 1
- Knife x 1
- Chopping Board x 1
- Vernier LabQuest 2 Data Logger x 1
- Plastic Pipe x 3
- 3D Printed Pipe Cap x 3
- PO4-3 (Potassium test) 8 tests
- NO3- (Nitrate test) x 8 tests
- Acrylic x 1
- Deionised Water x 1 bottle
- 70% ethanol x 1 bottle
(c) Procedures for building: Detail all procedures for construction of prototype
- Construct three tubes with wire mesh and the connectors. ( the above diagram )
- Fill up each tube with Pomelo , Banana peel and Activated Carbon respectively
- Close the items inside with plastic mesh
- Connect the Acrylic tubes to each other via pipe connectors.
- Connect the pump to the Input and Output of the Pipe.
(d) Procedures for testing: Detail all procedures for testing of prototype
- Take a sample of the school Pond’s Water using a beaker.
- Put the water into the Filter
- Test the water out for the pH value using the pH Sensor, Total Phosphates test, Turbidity test, Nitrates test and Total Suspended solids test.
- See the result.
(e) Risk, Assessment and Management: Identify any potential risks and safety precautions to be taken.
As the experiments involve collecting water, there is a risk of falling into the school pond.
Have a groupmate nearby to steady/help the person, so as to ensure that He or She does not fall
As the experiment involves mincing Banana peels, there is a risk of cutting of hands.
Have a Group mate to observe the experiment, if anything happens the Group mate can contact a lab assistant for help.
As the experiment involves cutting acrylic Tubes, there is a risk of
breakage and cutting of the hands.
Wear gloves when carrying out the experiment. In case of breakage, the cut to the hands will be minimized.